Chasing the illusive dream

It is the season for peers to chase after the esteemed Guru Cemerlang title.

I have been asked to apply for it - not only this year but several years now. Personally, I wouldn't. Wondering why?
Well, correct me if I am wrong, if I am an expert/super teacher - should I not be selected and awarded such a prestigious title? Why would I want to apply for the post? Do I have to blow my own trumpet and suck up to those in authority for such a title? Am I subject to observation by people outside of my workplace, people who care NOT for the welfare of my students?

Those are just some of the many reasons why I have not applied for GC- ship.

And to add insult to injury, some of those who have succeeded nationwide, are not even qualified to be doing what they are. Of course, I say this loosely, as there are many worthy of the title and make our nation proud.

Yet, there is no necessity to look beyond our own backyard - there are some subjects which require expert teachers and there are some subjects which do not. For example, what is the necessity of having an expert PJK teacher who shouts at people to make them cower and shake and yet cannot follow the simplest instruction of having classes on the field and not in a cemented area? What is the point of having an expert teacher who is hardly ever around and unburdens all his/her responsibilities on the rest of the panel and then wait for the spotlight to shine on him/her at the end of the year, after results? Of course there are those who can't even work the sorter/stapler without getting into trouble. So much for the expert who is willing to teach but not learn.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against expert teachers.

I am all for them - IF their core business is education - education of students - a life-long vocation. Not for their own glory. When abused, all they do is bring down those who have worked so hard to make the title prestigious. Our goal should be to uphold those who truly deserve the title based on merit, something very lacking in this society.

So excuse me for not applying. It doesn't make me any less a teacher than the next GC.

Comments

Popular Posts