Of hurdles..curved balls & disappointment

It is hard to understand 'potential' as seen by another. It is something so abstract and elusive as it may or may not materialise. Yet when people see such potential and endeavour to realise it in another, one can't help but wonder at their motives, ulterior or otherwise. And when they start the ball rolling, the one with 'potential' may feel like they are being manipulated in ways that are less than desirable.

My potential has led me to a steeplechase in my career.

It is riddled with potholes, hurdles, humps and curved balls - just to mention a few.

People always see potential - something I know I possess and I utilise when it suits me. After all, it is MY potential right?

And yet my sights though far is very stable, very sensible, very concrete. I know what I want, what I don't want and this knowledge has posed a problem to many.
When I say yes - I give my all.
When I say no - I mean NO.
I am this straightforward.

However, some people who profess to KNOW me, choose to overlook this character trait in me. They feel that I can be manipulated for the greater good. The question remains - whose greater good? Mine or theirs?

This simple act of saying NO is something I have learnt from Hard Knocks University, mainly for self-preservation. For without this ability, one is often used and over-used by all sorts.
I believe it takes courage to be able to say NO.
And when someone says NO, it should be respected, not belittled.
Most importantly, saying NO does not make me a negative person. Contrary to that, being able to say NO shows that I am able to weigh the good and the bad, the pros and the cons, the should versus the should nots. Is that not an admirable quality?

I will not apologise for the fact that I am not an apple polisher.
Neither am I a sucker for apple polishers.
I will not apologise for not being a YES man.
I do not believe in doing unnecessary work, for the glory of another or others.

I am sorry for disappointing some parties who seem to have a misconception of who I am.
I can change.
I choose NOT to. (for now)

Comments

  1. Heyy, I totally agree with you. Its so not worth changing for people, especially when you say it only suits them. True, some people may have your best interests at heart, but that doesnt make them right. Well done for holding your own against all odds:D

    If you need cheering up do visit my blog at http://lady-buzzispotted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts