A Whirlwind Month

The last month has been hectic, yet refreshing; crazy, yet memorable - a month full of new experiences and yet it felt like deja vu.

I was blessed with 2 wonderful student teachers to mentor and after 4 weeks they have left a chasm in my routine. Hailing from the land down under, they brought with them freshness and enthusiasm laced with the niggling fears any student teacher would naturally face if not for the fact that they were thousands of miles from home.

Emma Tabone and Ali Farrell arrived in the school all sweaty and out of bresth because they had just walked all the way from the Asia Jaya train station at the ungodly hour of noon. Meeting them in the Principal's office, they seemed bright-eyed and nervous, but ever willing to take on life's challenges. Quickly, they adapted, absorbing every smell, noise and stare. The constant staring did their heads in as they had never been such centres of attraction in their lives.

One was experienced,  the other not. One was gung-Ho, the other less. And yet they both excelled at the vocation they had chosen. The students they taught with every ounce of  enthusiasm and commitment they had. They had to deal with classroom management,  new challenges which I threw in along the way, strange food not knowing what ingredients are in it and of course the never relenting heat. All of which they embraced with open arms.

I am not sure what it was but I had taken to them like a mother hen. I felt sorry for them as their Universities and organisers had left them to sink or swim. With no Malaysian buddies, they were lost. Living halfway across the Klang Valley, they had to bear with travelling on public transport,  something no Malaysian does willingly. After 2 weeks of getting to know and like them, I opened up my home to them. Ali grabbed at the chance of spending a weekend with me and we had a gala time. We tried all kinds of food from dragon beard candy to tortoise-shell jelly, mochi to cendol and all sorts of streetfood. Adventurous is her middle name. We even spent a day in Malacca, fulfilling her dream of touching and feeding an elephant. Strolling down Jonker Walk and cruising down the Melaka river, we had a lot of fun. Emma unfortunately,  missed out on all of this.

The final week flew by at incredible speed. The students threw them a surprise party, with cake and gifts galore. They adore them. Laden with gifts and memories of gold, they left with sad hearts determined to return in thee near future.

For me, my life has been enriched. And I must add, so has my family's. They have grown to love this little firecracker who oozes positivity and yet is ever rational and sensible. She is the older sister they have never had. The one we want to adopt - to which she said yes, much to our amusement.

I am grateful for the month. I will miss them both but more so for Ali.
I can only thank God for gift wrapping my presents with love.



Comments

  1. Nice!!! The older sister they never had huh? ;-)
    Seriously, I can imagine you opening your heart and home to both of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts