Refresher..

Today I had another walk down memory lane.. back to school.

Instead of heading to the school that I work in, some pals and I headed down to Sunway University College to attend the English for Specific Academic Purposes (ESAP) Syomposium. What is that you may ask? Just to enlighten you in the shortest of summaries, a refresher course on the teaching of English for this day and age.

And I must say, I was absolutely looking forward to it. I love learning as much as teaching and the first thing that hit me was the expectation of uncertainty. I didn't know what was to be expected and that was thrilling. To learn something new, something wonderful and useful is such a breath of fresh air. Not that I was stale, but it's good to keep up with the times.

So what did I learn from 9am to 5 pm - LOTS.
  • the teacher plays an important role.
i.e. good teacher + good lesson = great class/good learning
good teacher + poor lesson = good class/moderate learning
weak teacher + good lesson = lousy class/less learning
weak teacher + poor lesson = lousy class/no learning
  • it's good to be unpredictable
  • teaching does not mean learning has taken place
  • no lesson can be repeated
  • every class is different
  • individual personality is something Ts must cherish
  • Ts comments can kill ( I'm sorry!)
  • our education needs SEVERE revamping
  • some people are dynamic teachers
  • we have to move with the times
  • my first love is still teaching
  • it's great to be a student again

I miss being a student.
I even miss being a teacher.
I don't think I have taught much this year.
Can I please just be A teacher?
Not administrator.

So to all my poor students for the year - I sincerely and humbly apologise.

Comments

  1. omg. teachers should read this post......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha rubynie, I agree although not all will be able to swallow what I have learnt.
    Sad isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts