Growing up??

It has been 25 years since I last saw my friend and ex-classmate, R. My first question, after the preliminary hellos, was 'How many kids do you have?' only to be surprised by 'I'm not sure how to answer that but I'm not married.'

My bad. She looked married and motherly. Again - my bad.

After a couple of hours catching up, I realise time has stood still for R. She still lives with her parents and has the same girly giggle of a seventeen year old. (No offence to all 17 yr-olds reading this) The same person I knew way back when. Then it hits me - does growing up, away and older make us any wiser?

I know we're all older, we have matured along the way and yet some part of remains as a child, a teenager, a single individual waiting to achieve greatness.

I wonder what I would be like if I had not taken the road that I have.
I actually can't imagine anything remotely possible because after much reflection, after going through all the hardships I have had, I would not change a single moment of my last 25 years cos that journey has moulded me into the person that I am. This persona is a product of every chip, chisel, friction, smelting and refining that God has chosen to put me through. I am sure I could have turned out better had I let Him mould me more but I know with great certainty tha I could have very well turned out worse. So as I said, I have no regrets, only gratitude for since baptism, I know my path is the one He has chosen for me and for that I am eternally grateful.

Learning History to some is a folly, but for many, it is to learn from past mistakes and to prevent a repetition of such mistakes. However, if we continually look backwards, we may mis-step and inevitably fall. So, live today as if there is no tomorrow therefore not having another chance to change anything. Cherish the seconds, minutes, hours and moments which cannot be captured by the camera but only the photographic memory, holding on to all that is sweet and discarding all that tend to leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

Meeting up with long-lost or semi-new friends is always a pleasure. It is fun to reminisce, because each person remembers events and happenings in a different light. Some with more impact, some with a blur and some with trauma.
The best part, is the laughter.
It is a unique way of purging the system of all toxicity, grudges and ill feelings.
It helps put perspective on life now, in the present and it helps us move forward with a renewed energy of sorts.

No, I would not want to be 17 again, or 21 or even 24. I am older now, hopefully wiser too.

This post is not meant to take a stab at my friend R. Forgive me if it has. I needed this opportunity to reflect on the changes in me. R was just the catalyst of this reflection.

Comments

Popular Posts