Farewells

It was a pain being stuck in the staffroom on Monday.

All I wanted was to be in the hall with my girls and watch them get ready for the Oh so important SPM. To see these grown-up little girls whom I have watched bloom and blossom, whom I have in a tiny way helped mould and shape along the last 5 years.

Reports had to be done. Work had to be finished.

And when they streamed in one by one, single file, in pairs, in threes and in groups, it took all my nerves to steel my heart and block the dams from overflowing.

It is a strange feeling, LOVE!
It hurts and yet so much joy!
It makes us gooey and yet so strong.

So many of them came, one whom I have never taught in her life, some whom I have only ever taught once and some whom I have taught some time back.
The memories they have are beautiful and it's the little things they remember.

One of them said thanks for a wonderful year in Form 3 when we experienced ants, bees and even the roof collapsing.
One of them thanked me for Form 2 when she used to be lazy and not hand in homework.
One of them promised to continue exploring her potential in the writing field.

SO many wonderful, amazing individuals who could make me cry with a mere hug.

Then there were some who didn't need words; a smile, a wink, a hug was enough to make me tear.

And yet, after 5 years, I can understand why some ppl never came to say farewell.
It's hard. Being honest and candid takes a lot of guts. But it's ok. The feelings are mutual.
There is not one individual whom I would not wish her well.

I know I have done my best.
It is now up to you to do your best. This is much more important than scoring As.

These are the girls whom I love.
I cherish the times we have spent together.
How we have moved on despite the mood swings, both yours and mine. People warned me teaching teenage girls in isolation was hard. I refute this belief. They are extraordinary, remarkable and outstanding individuals who shine through always, who are resilient and who are my most loyal friends.


So let me just say:

I cheer you on.
I wish you luck.
I hope you succeed in all that you endeavour.
I will miss you.

Comments

Popular Posts