Try again!

It has been a long-time observation of mine that children and teenagers these days are less resilient than in my time. I say this because they give up too easily, before they've even tried. Their excuse - I can't do it.
Does this mean their BEST is actually 'I'll try'?
So when they say 'I'll try' what does it actually mean? See first? If I have time? If God allows it?

Let me give you an example -
Miss X : I can't find the my book.
Mum: 'Look for it in your drawer'
Miss X: I looked - it's not there!
Mum: (searching thru the drawer) See! I told you it's here!
Miss X: I didn't see it.

This is cos she never even looked.

Example 2:

Y: I'm not going to school tomorrow.
Dad: Why?
Y: Tired.
Dad: Won't you miss lessons?
Y: I'll catch up. Won't miss much. Anyway, need a rest.

This cos he hasn't finished his homework.

Example 3:

Teacher: So this assignment is due tomorrow.
Student: Ok. I'll do my best.
Teacher: Any problems?
Student: Nope
Next day -
Teacher: Where is your work?
Student: Haven't finished.
Teacher: Let me see how far you got?
Student: Haven't even started.

This cos promises are easy and worthless.

So what has gone wrong? Is it the lack of parental guidance?
Is it that people's expectations are lower?

What happened to the sayings -
Never give up.
Try and try again till you succeed.


I find this apathetic attitude very hard to swallow because I don't teach this. Never in my 18 years of service.
It's difficult to unlearn these behaviours.
To always have an excuse when things don't go your way is such a cop out.
If you can't hack little obstacles in your way, how can you expect to conquer the world?

I dread to see predict what our future leaders will be in 10 -20 years' time.
Cos I can just see the Prime Minister of the day saying -I'm tired today - so I'm taking the day off.

Can you??
Are you guilty?




Comments

Popular Posts