An Awesome Responsibility

I found this - so I'd like to share it.

Dedicated to all teachers - struggling and dedicated, tired and burnt-out, past, present and future. Know your strengths and utilise them wisely.

I make decisions in my classroom
all of them,
each moment,
each day,
every day.

By these decisions, I make my lessons
exciting, inviting,
stimulating, boring,
confusing, difficult, or
effective and appropriate.

My decisions determine the classroom climate,
the atmosphere, the aura,
the ambience or the mood, and
conditions conducive to learning.

I am in charge, I am responsible,
I can create anxiety,
hesitancy, uncertanty; or
satisfaction, happiness,
exhilaration and anticipation.

My classroom presentation can be
intersting, boring,
monotonous, dynamic,
tedious, humorous,
enthusiastic or dull.

My decisions, my power, my actions, my responses and
my failure to decide, to act or to respond makes my lessons
worthwhile, memorable,
worthless, harmful,
helpful, useful,
valuable and impressive.

As teacher, I control kids' lives for a period of time
I can affect their attitude,
their feelings and their emotions,
their desires, interest,
attention and aspirations.

My decisions make their lives better or worse
for the moment,
for a little while,
for future learning and perhaps,
for time to come.

I remember times when I myself as a student, felt
angry, upset,
embarrased, alone,
helpless, inadequate,
resentful and troubled.

I still harbour some of the frustration,
resentment and pain from those times, but
there is nothing I can do about my pain.
I can also feel the hurt and frustration in some of my students,
and I can do something about their pain.

I can decide at any given moment
to smile or to frown,
to give an 'F' or to give a second chance,
to be autocratic or to be democratic,
to be uncaring and authoritarian,
to be caring and empathetic.

My responsibility is to help my students
to develop positive attitudes,
to learn to be confident and competent,
to become knowledgeable,
to become productive and independent
to be World Class citizens.

Making teaching decisions is an awesome responsibilty
And the decisions are all mine.

Comments

Popular Posts