Almost 20 years

It has taken 19 years of hard work and constant learning to be appreciated for all the little things that I do at work.

I can't begin to count the numerous hats I have tried on. 19 years as a teacher, confidante, friend, colleague, facilitator, motivator, counsellor, educator, clerk, nanny, cleaner, nagger, driver, accountant, chettiah, and many, many other profiles but most importantly as an employee to be finally acknowledged as someone who does her best, gives of her best and does what is right for her students.

Every year, an old faithful consoles me when I hear of other people getting awarded and it makes me down.
Many a time, the one(s) who get it don't deserve it.
This award has been the bane of many colleagues - not because we are jealous, but because we work super hard and get bypassed for a myriad of ridiculous reasons.
To my pal who is still waiting, hang in there and I love you ! I believe in you!

Another friend also mentioned that the powers that be are and have always been slow at noticing things that go smoothly, but quick to judge when things go wrong. How true! So it isn't that we don't do thing right, we do it so well that we blend into the background!

Unfortunately, we, human beings thrive on being acknowledge and appreciated. It takes very little to smile or to pat one on the back and even lesser to say "Good job!" So let this be a lesson to all ~ profer encouragement freely, slather on the praise and never stinge on the smiles. It works better than all the material gifts in the world.

Phew - no wonder I am tired.

Comments

Popular Posts