Since then..

It is now week 9 and I think the square hole and round peg issue is past me.

I realise (with help from my pals) now that it's ok to not fit. It's ok to be different - cos the adjustment is not just me to them, it's also them to me. And WE are all learning.

People are busier than I. Cos I'm lucky that way - no form teacher-ship, not KP, not anyone important! I love it! And am grateful for it.

And as I wade through the different types of students, I find that they are finding me unpredictable.

This week I have broken new ground. I have shown that I can be cruel, I can cane without batting an eyelid.
And I have canned 2 classes, with a desire for them to change, to be more serious and a tinge of pleasure for the pain they have inflicted on me in the last 2 months. I hope this lesson sinks in for them.

I am experiencing change, inevitable really. Change in so many ways, it's hard to pinpoint what. I guess it started the day I stepped into Sri Aman and felt like an intruder - a clear sign I no longer belong there. Confirmation to come the day I take off the sticker on my car windscreen!

The most comforting thought still remains - I connect with the students and vice versa. Just like in SA, I am at my best when I am in class, teaching, learning and even playing.

Had my first game of Scrabble today - such joy! With boys as well - the crazy words they come up with KOPS, HORE and RALE.
All in good fun!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts