Apologies

I now remember with great conviction why I don't want to do my Masters in Malaysia.

After having written 2 super long essays in BM, (yes I did it!) I remember why. Not that I had wanted to in the first place but that is besides the point.

My main concern is the rigidity of the Malaysian education system. They spew out a question that you are supposed to be inspired to write about but are so concerned over the keywords in the question that all inspiration to think out of the box literally falls OUT of the box. Why the need to be so fussy? Does the essence of the original question not hold water at all? Or is it because the person marking is so programmed to only be able to identify keywords in the answer, therefore not able to accept any other answers?

What have we become that education has deteriorated to the sewers? I am part of the said system. And sad to say, that if I were to teach and mark according to the non-conventional system, accepting answers that are out of the box and requiring creative and critical thinking skills, am I therefore condemning my students in their major exams because the markers are the total opposite? What predicament have I caused my students?

And yet, it pains me that I will no longer be able to teach my Form 5 students as they have come to the end of their journey. It was a bitter sweet day, last Friday for the sky too felt our sorrow as little droplets fell from the sky. My only desire is to wish them well. Thank you for sharing your journey with me. It is indeed my good fortune.

So to those of you about to sit for the dreaded SPM, GOOD LUCK.

Comments

Popular Posts