Finished!

I finally finished marking - a chore for this particular teacher.

Don't get me wrong - I love my profession. To be in class, having intelligent conversations, bantering and debating, ultimately discovering the individuals that light up the world to come is absolutely fascinating.
Marking - on the other hand is tedious. Especially essays. Not that my students don't write well. They do. However reading the same topic 20 times(minimal) over is just too much. Multiply that by 2 classes. Now can you see the problem?

Anyways, now I can watch TV without feeling guilty. I can spend time on the net without feeling guilty. Unfortunately, my health is sinking - probably due to too much marking and the lack of sleep not to mention a proper holiday.

My sister-in-law commented the other day about my marking while visiting them. How is it I can't just visit but had to bring work along?

Well, let me make the announcement loud and clear.

Listen up -

Teachers are expected to work through the holidays - marking, filing, updating their piling work because they are privileged to be paid for a holiday. That means - technically we are NOT on holiday. Mind you, I had to sit for an exam which i didn't have time to study for as well.

Another reason why we have to mark during the holidays is because the attendance of students would be so poor if the exams were set for earlier, so the solution - push the exams as late as possible, preferably before the holidays. Therefore, teachers have to mark in the holidays?

What happens to the children of the teachers, who hardly see their parent during school days wanting to spend time with the said parent? They get shooed away for disturbing their concentration while marking. They get told to wait till later. Another day.

I feel sorry for my children. We were supposed to do all sorts during the 2 week break. They never happened. We never even made it to the local library let alone to the shopping mall. I have deprived them of quality time. Of me time. Of memories together.
Is it any wonder teachers go back to work feeling poorly?

Students and bosses expect all marks to be ready at the word GO! It's easy for some - those who plonk their papers into the scanner and get them marked in under half an hour. Woe to those who have to read essay after essay, not to mention subjective questions.

I vote for early exams. I vote for longer deadlines. I vote for a life.

Comments

Popular Posts