Yet again!

Today I am reminded again about my passion for teaching.

Although I feel tired, and sense that I am headed towards burn out, I hold on, nay cling dearly to the fact that my first love is and has always been to teach, to educate and to be part of the change that will happen for a better tomorrow.

Somethings some people said today hit a sore point with me.

Sacrifices gone unnoticed. Time spent at work which could have been better spent with the family.
Of course, I will agree that time is better spent with our own families but it is my part and parcel of my vocation to spend time with other people's children. I have yet to begrudge that part of my job.

The fact that some people feel that they should only do what is necessary at work during work hours and nothing more, irks me! To the core.
That one cannot sacrifice their weekends once in a while is incomprehensible. Having said that, I too appreciate my weekends to myself - however, if duty calls, it is acceptable to spend some weekends at work especially if the beneficiary is ourselves.
That one could contemplate moving to a different location due to spending a whole day at work is unfathomable. I have spent numerous whole days at work. The pleasure derived from the achievements of those whole days are more than sweet wine down the throat. I have had no regrets of time well spent. What is to say that at other locations sacrifices aren't expected or demanded?

My dissatisfaction and ire stem not from envy at other people's excuses or escapism. They stem from the fact that the passion for what they had originally chosen as their vocation has dissipated and eludes them now. Their priorities have changed and the ones at the losing end are the future generation. This is indeed a sad state of affairs.

I remember - I love teaching. For that, I am grateful.

I look at my students and wonder to myself silently, how much of them have I touched, moulded, shaped? How much of me or my ideology is in them? How much do they take away with them?

My silent prayer - enough!

Comments

Popular Posts