Lost

Sometimes, of late, I have been wondering if I am doing the right thing, by way of my Literature students.

I have no one to guide me, no yardstick to compare and no guidebooks to help me help my students. If you are wondering what I am going on about, it is the fact that my groping in the dark is coming to an end. Not because I see the light. More because the year is coming to an end and my girls have to face their deepest challenge of the SPM paper under my guidance. Have I guided them in the right direction? Have I given them confidence when I myself am not.

Guilt is what I am feeling. My strict marking is their ultimate bane. Yet I hope my strictness is helping to shape their thoughts, that it may help them with the best way to answer the questions. My standards and expectations ARE indeed high, and the ones who have been suffering are my 22 girls who faithfully come back for more every week.

Only God seems to know my trepidations for He has sent me and angel, and this angel has agreed to come and throw some light on how to answer the questions that bear the most marks for free!!! And for this, I hope my girls are grateful.

I love them very much and have seen them change in ways so subtle, they probably don't detect. They have come to understand that people from all walks of life go through various challenges each day, regardless of race, religion, culture, background and status. They have come to understand themselves more as they grow older, wiser and mature at their own pace. They have stepped up to all the challenges that I have thrown their way, and have come out shining. We have enjoyed times in and out of class and the best part is, I have grown too. With them, I have learnt so much with them, from them and I shall miss them once the next 5 weeks are over.

So girls, if you agree or disagree with the above, give me a shout!

I don't know if I want to go through another 2 years if parting is so painful though.

Comments

Popular Posts