The Rotary Connection

Last night, saw the Rotary Club of Petaling Jaya celebrate their 53rd birthday and in full splendour, they invited the elite masses to feast, drink and make merry at Empire Hotel. Being a minor part of the 'family', teacher advisers of al PJ Interact Clubs were invited to join in the celebration.

Going solo to this kind of bash is not my cup of tea. I do not do well at high society functions nor do I relish in making small talk with total strangers. Of course, there would be fellow teachers but none of them are MY friends, acquaintances perhaps but not friends. All day, I regretted confirming my attendance. I wrestled with what to wear - since the invitation stated specifically "evening gown".  Needless to say, I went.

As I arrived, the throngs of people dressed to the nines mingled noisily with glasses of red and white wine in one hand and shaking the other with all and sundry. I felt completely out of place and realised my folly in coming to such an event. Help came in the nick of time by way of another teacher who was feeling similar. Locating our table quickly, we stepped into the ballroom which was practically empty except for staff. Ironically enough, it felt like we had escaped the deep waters only to end up in Moby Dick's belly. You see, the ceiling of the ballroom had curved wooden strips that resembled the ribs of a whale!

The evening dragged by slower than a snail's trail as I watched people dressed in their suits and gowns give the customary greeting, followed by handshakes and air hugs or kisses. It seemed utterly superficial to me but who am in the circle? More teachers arrived and we shared stories about our clubs and our working environment, gossiping about mutual colleagues and such.

The function and its many formalities took a toll on my sanity. The overcrowded room was warm and uncomfortable. The entertainment was not doing its magic. The noise was giving me a headache. By the third course and second glass of wine, I felt the need to escape and so I did. Slipping away quietly was the best feeling ever, back to my ordinary, mundane life away from the craziness of high society. As I wiped away the last traces of make up while dressing down, I felt grateful for the life I have, my family and all its simplicity.

Comments

Popular Posts