What is my destiny?

Some people believe that they are born for great things. Some people will do anything to climb the corporate ladder. Is it all it's made out to be?

What is my destiny?

When I was transferred to this establishment, I believed that God was telling me to start over, reinvent myself. I have tried to be as invisible as possible, but one of my principles is to maximise productivity without doing meaningless work. After all what is the point of going 300 miles from A to B when the same journey can be made in 150 miles? Surely, working smart is an important skill of life.

In my 2 years here, I have inadvertently affected and changed many people's lives just as they have mine. I have witnessed many who have followed blindly, having "sheep mentality" and doing things for the sake of doing them, all because they don't want to rock the boat. I, on the other hand, rock the boat and enjoy the challenge of not falling over.

In about 3 weeks' time, 17 senior staff are leaving to be pioneers in a Junior College. I am happy for them, the excitement of laying the foundation of something new, setting the standards for the future generation. However, their departure leaves a gaping chasm in the structure of our establishment. Undoubtedly, the ones remaining will have to take on more responsibility, filling up the gaps based on seniority. Yes, I have reached senior status.

Everyone is whispering and making speculations about who will be given the extra work, the extra responsibilities, the extra headaches or heartaches. In other words, a major landslide will ultimately change the facade and in and around the surrounding environment. These whispers have reached my ears with rumours that I would make a good administrator.

I have never wanted to be part of the administration. I don't believe it is worth the toll on my health or the increase in grey hair. I have witnessed many of my friends turn into unrecognizable people within a few weeks of taking on the posts. They seem to forget that they were once part of the motley crew in the staffroom, who were always on the receiving end, complaining about the crazy policies being implemented and forced down the throat of the ordinary folk.

Don't get me wrong - it's not that I fear that I cannot handle the work.  I know I can do the job. I am sure I will  thrive on the challenge.  I am sure I will excel at it too. So why do I not want to?
That seems to be the question.

Perhaps one day I might change my mind.  But not yet. I have evaded it before. And God has let me be.

If it is my destiny, Que sera sera.


Comments

Popular Posts