Is it worth it?

I AM feeling the burden of paperwork!

I used to think I could and should handle it - after all teaching in a school where students actually WANT to learn must trump over every other mundane responsibility - or so I thought?
Recently, I have been wondering if it is worth it?
Or maybe my feet are itching again.

No - I think it's just the burden of work which is NOT my core business.
I long for the days when all I had to think about was going to class, preparing my lessons for it to be interesting and so my students will enjoy that one hour with me, learning and not realising that they have learnt.
But that is not the case anymore.
Prepare? What's that?
I walk into class and fret over their upcoming exams - fret when these are excellent students! Silly, aren't I? But I do!
I worry about the numbers, the statistics at the end of the day.
O no - I'm turning into a bureaucrat. What a notion!

And yet, telling my Fourth formers to actually enjoy Choral speaking rather than focus on the winning seems sinful.
But that is my intention. To have fun!
We have 5 more classes before the competition and we are no where near ready - so we might as well have fun right?

To top it off, the liaison officer for NUTP in my establishment handed out feedback forms to determine how over-burdened teachers actually are!
My first reaction was "I'm so busy I don't have time to fill up the form."
Ironic isn't it?
Then of course, you wonder if your boss would actually read your comments and find you a threat!
Another thought was, what could the NUTP actually do for us - they haven't accomplished much at all since their inception.

But I am a cynic at heart.
Do I even have a heart!?

So what's it worth in the end?
I think I have lost my way - a little.

Comments

Popular Posts