Do you know me?

Reading the essays of some of my girls tell me a lot that isn't written.

Ironic isn't it?

What I mean is I know them yet I don't know them at all. So many of US are complex beings. Notice I didn't use the word complicated. We're NOT! Our lives may be, but we are just complex. Parents find it hard to accept that their child is said to behave one way in school and the complete opposite at home. Just proves the Jekyll and Hyde in everyone of us.

I'm trying to say that although I think(and hope) I know most of you, I realise that I don't know you at all or where you're coming from. Some teachers make it their business to find out the whos and whats that go on in students' lives but not I. I have never judged a student based on class, status or anything of a sort nor have I made it my life's mission to dig out skeletons cos I respect people's privacy. As a student, no one judged me by looking at my background; as a teacher I don't, nor did I (unless I had too) as a discipline teacher. But this doesn't mean I don't feel for my students. I used to have students who had to work thru the night so that they would have pocket money for school. I even had one who racked up debts from going to the cyber cafe and finally took his own life in school. I also had one who never made it home cos he got bashed up and was left lying in a drain after working in the pasar malam and the parents didn't give two hoots about him. This current school is a lot more privileged and yet with a different set of problems.

SO there are many of US come from messed up families and we take shelter wherever we can. After all, bird of a feather stick together. And this messed up state actually messes with our personalities. Survival of the fittest - so they say.

If only everyone has a happy-ever-ending like Giselle.

Yet those lucky ones who do come from WHOLESOME families are just as complexed cos there just isn't a HAPPY family - not all of the time anyway.

So you see, it's not THE END if you do come from complicated surroundings, it is MORE important how you handle adversities in life which makes and moulds you into a strong and capable human being.

One worthy of what God originally intended.

Your attitude and outlook on life has to be one of perseverance and courage to face the many challenges life throws your way, cos life IS unfair, life IS complicated yet life IS rewarding as our hopes are renewed day after day. This series of trials and tribulations is indeed called LIFE!

What we all need more of in this world is Love.

Comments

Popular Posts