Teenagers...

This is something that struck me last night but I was too tired to blog.



I have re-discovered that teenagers are truly a wonderfully innocent and idealistic lot. I have come across many in my career (understatement of the century) and they have never failed to amaze me.



Some of the questions that go thru a teenager's mind include:


1) Are we not Malaysians?

2) Why are people's minds so narrow?

3) If we are Malaysians heading towards 1Malaysia, should we not change?

My answer is : Yes we should. All of us should. But change as we know it is something most necessary yet most difficult.

Change can only occur when one wants to. Not when one is forced to.
All forced change will meet with resistance. And the natural reaction towards change is to move in the opposite direction. Therefore, when one is not ready to change, pushing it on will be futile.

And having said that, people in general, do want to see change - for the better. It is only when they are unsure of the outcome that the resistance is present.
And in order to want change, things must be bad. Bad enough to warrant change. For how can we seek good if we do not recognise evil? How can know light if do not know darkness?

The question remains - what do you want?

My teenagers believe in ideals - good ideals. Maybe we should to - for when our standards drop, ideals are lost.

Comments

Popular Posts