Friends...Sigh..

You know, I distinctly remember giving my students an assignment on friendship and it makes me proud that this generation of young people can have such clear definitions of what friendship should and should not be.

Yet there are adults out there who seem to think that friendship is indeed a ship on which you can ride on when the wind is blowing strong, cheer together as we close in on vast distances and yet when turbulence comes along, be it a tiny storm( God help us in a tsunami), that all sense and loyalty fly out the window, leaving you utterly breathless and aghast at such selfishness. Pardon my language but when I'm struck by such lowly human beings, I'm more than appalled.

In times of trouble, we should stand up for what is right. Not hide behind a mask of innocence and hope that no one will notice. My principles are simple. If you have no part of it, then don't take credit. If you have done your fair share, then by all means you deserve that credit. Even 14 year-olds can see how unfair it was. And KUDOS to those of you who were brave enough to fight for what is right - and I know, deep down, if I were that teacher, I would be super proud of you and honoured to call you MY students.

I was doing a quick survey with some of my hardworking Form 4s on Saturday and we covered characteristics like honesty, justice and courage. It takes a lot of courage to be strong, to stand against the tide and yet it is so important to do so, cos when you don't, the respect that you have worked so hard to earn crashes down with such impact that it leaves a wave of disbelief. This wave lasts longer than you can imagine. That is how I felt about my friend .

So to my real friends, I would like to say I'm proud to have such friends.

Comments

  1. sib, couldn't agree with you more!!! sometimes i wonder how these people sleep at night? are they proud with what they are dong by stepping on other people's toes and taking credit for something that they have the least contribution? i'm glad to have a friend like you who stood by me and believed in me. yes, deep inside am happy to be surrounded with such friends like you and the students that you've mentioned. thanks dear! reading your blog really made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts